Skip Navigation
Home
 
 
Town Links
residents
 
This table is used for column layout.
 



Niskayuna Town Seal Logo
Healthy Choices for Families

 

CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS RELATED TO NISKAYUNA HISTORY
Events through 1976 by Arthur E. Newkirk, Niskayuna Conservation Advisory Council
Events post 1976 by Ed Reilly, Town Supervisor, 1970-1979; 1989-199
**********************

1609 Henry Hudson sailed to the present site of Albany

1626 Iroquois (Mohawks) monopolized all Dutch trade westward

1640 Niskayuna settled by the Dutch

1664 Harmon Vedder house built in Niskayuna. Vedder and Smith patents

1667 Damen received 35 acres

1687 Van Antwerp Farm, 1725 Van Antwerp Road

1721 Berning and Erben Residences, Rosendale Road

1738 Colonial brickyard, Niskayuna Road

1752 Niskayuna Reformed Church.  Present building dates to 1852

1761 Stanford Mansion, State Street

1775 Olde Craig Hotel, Aqueduct Road

1775 On May 6, the Schenectady Committee on Safety and Correspondence was formed.

1776 Aqueduct Boat Company building, Aqueduct Road

1776 Shakers settle in what is now Albany Airport area, then Watervliet.        

1777 First New York state Constitution adopted at Kingston

1779 Van Vranken home built

1795 The Old Vedder Farm built, Troy Road

1799 The Derrick G. Groot homestead built, Rosendale Road

1804 Balltown Road constructed.  Alexander's Mills and a wing Dam built at Aqueduct

1805 Alexander's Bridge built for Balltown Road at Aqueduct

1809 Schenectady County formed on March 6th with the Town of Niskayuna as a part

1817 Erie Canal authorized

1820 Champion Farm built, Van Antwerp Road

1822 Erie Canal built at Aqueduct-Rexford

1825 Erie Canal completed.  Simmons House built, Aqueduct Road

1834 Erie Canal wing dam constructed

1835 Schopmeier farm house built, now 1317 Regent Street

1843 Troy & Schd'y RR built along Mohawk with stations at Aqueduct and Niskayuna Hamlet

1850 School House No. 3 built on Balltown Road

1862 First comprehensive enlargement of the Erie Canal completed

1870 Niskayuna School No. 4 built

1890 Scheckelman Barn built.  Taken down November 17, 1975

1892 Vischer's Ferry Bridge built, destroyed by ice the following winter

1895 Van Antwerp School No. 5 built

1898 State Dam built at Aqueduct

1902 Schenectady-Saratoga trolley line built

1903 Mohawk Golf Club moved to present site, formerly the J.W. Smitely farm

1906 Grand Boulevard plot purchased for development

1908 First house built on Grand Boulevard plot for Mr. Jeffers

1910 Railroad Bridge built over Balltown Road

1912 Dr. Willis R. Whitney house built, Troy Road

1914 Lock 7 on canal constructed and Lock 7-Lock 8 level flooded

1918 New York State Barge Canal completed.  Grand Boulevard Association organized

1920 Grand Boulevard Fire Company organized

1921 Charles W. Stone house built, now a part of the Bellevue Maternity Hospital

1930 Concrete sidewalks built on Keyes Avenue

1932 Niskayuna Fire District established

1941 Last run of the Schenectady-Saratoga electric trolley on December 7th.

1946 Construction of the G.E. Research and Development Center begun

1947 Park Districts No. 1 and No. 2 founded

1950 First Town Hall built

1950 GE Research Laboratory opens

1954 Rosendale Estates development begun

1956 Town landfill site acquired

1957 Woodcrest development begun

1958 Orchard Park Estates development begun

1961 Avon Crest development begun

1961 Wastewater treatment plant built

1961 Addition to Town Hall

1962 Niskayuna became a First Class Town

1964 Lisha Kill Natural Area established by the Nature Conservancy

1966 Schenectady Chemicals Laboratory built

1969 Environment/One built

1969 Mohawk Mall built

1970 Wastewater treatment plant enlarged

1971 River Road Park land acquired (Scheckelman Farm)

1971 Avon Crest Park acquired

1973 Landfill garage constructed by the Town

1973 G.E. Engineering Development Center built

1974 Town's first dog leash law enacted

1975 Second addition to Town Hall

1975 Lighted tennis courts built at River Road Park

1975 Niskayuna became a suburban Town

1975 Third expansion of Town Hall

1976 Niskayuna celebrates the  bi-centennial; Historian Lloyd Brinkman's History published

1977 First section of riverfront hike and bike path constructed

1983 Hike and bike path completed

1984 First Community Center and branch library open at Van Antwerp School

1984 River Road Park is renamed Jeff Blatnick Park

1989 New branch Post Office opens on Nott Street East

1991 Nott Street East is extended to Van Antwerp Road

1994 New 35-acre park opens on west side of River Road with recycled name "River Road Park"

1994 New Town Hall opens in November

1995 Elizabeth Harriman Bean branch library opens across from Town Hall

1996 Opening of Niskayuna Square and Wynwood Commons

1997 Opening of St. James Square and Clare Bridge



 
One Niskayuna Circle, Niskayuna, NY 12309
Phone: (518) 386-4500 Fax: (518) 386-4592 | Hours: M-F 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.