Building and Zoning Permits:
Required for building projects, including new construction, additions, structural changes, decks, finished basements, pools, drainage, fencing, demolition, roofing, siding, emergency alarm installation, window replacement, portable storage units, generator installations and temporary bulk waste containers. Contractors must have updated insurance certificates naming the Town of Niskayuna as a Certificate Holder for General Liability, Workers’ Compensation and NYS Disability insurance coverage or approved CE200 Waiver. Homeowners may perform their own work with an affidavit of insurance exemption.
Inspection Times and Procedures:
To schedule a building inspection, please call the Building Department. Inspections requested for the morning must be called in before 9 am. Inspections requested for the afternoon must be called in before 1 pm. Inspections will be made between 10 am – 12 pm and between 2 pm – 4 pm daily.
Types of Inspections:
- Footing Inspection
- Foundation / Backfill Inspection
- Rough Electrical Insp (by third party)
- Rough Plumbing Inspection
- Rough Framing Inspection
- Insulation Inspection
- Final Electrical Insp (by third party)
- Final Plumbing Inspection
- Final Building Inspection
- Final Grading Inspection
Plumbing Permits and Inspections:
Plumbing work performed in the Town requires a separate plumbing permit. Plumbing permits are issued by the Building Department. For permits or to schedule inspections, call: (518) 386-4522
Electrical work performed in the Town requires a third party electrical permit. To schedule an electrical inspection, call any of the NYS approved electrical inspectors.
- The Inspector – (518) 481-5300
- Middle Department Inspection Agency, Inc. – (518) 273-0861
- It is required that before digging, call Dig Safely New York excavation notification center at 1-800-962-7962 to locate utilities. All utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable TV, etc) will be located free of charge.