The Historic Preservation Committee is comprised of community volunteers who live in the Town of Niskayuna. The charge of the Committee includes assisting the Town with the following:
- Conducting inventories of significant historic buildings, structures, objects, sites, and historic districts within the Town.
- Establishing the criteria for selection of historic buildings, structures, objects, sites, and historic districts in the Town of Niskayuna to be placed on the Town Register of Historic Places.
- Recommending to the Town Board suggested buildings, structures, objects, sites, and historic districts which should be listed on the Town Register of Historic Places.
- Recommendations to the Town Board as to those areas of the Town that should be designated as Town Historic districts.
- Increasing public awareness of the value of preserving historic buildings, structures, objects and sites by developing and participating in public education programs, conducting preservation workshops, and providing assistance to owners of historic properties.
- Making recommendations to the Town Board concerning utilization of state, federal, or private funds to promote the preservation of historic buildings, structures, objects, and sites within the Town of Niskayuna.
- Serving in an advisory capacity to the Town Board, Planning Department, Planning Board & Zoning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and the Architectural Review Board on all matters that affect or impact identified or designated Historic places or historic districts