On March 15, 2020, Supervisor Syed closed all Town buildings to the general public, including the Town Hall, Highway Garage, Water and Sewer Garage, Water Treatment Plant, Wastewater Treatment Plant, Niskayuna Town Court, Transfer Station (limited hours) and Senior Center. Town buildings and facilities will remain closed to the general public until further notice.
Governor Cuomo's Executive Order 202.4, effective March 17, 2020, directed local governments to allow “no less than fifty-percent (50%) of the total number of employees” performing non-essential services “to be able to work from home or take leave without charging accruals." Governor Cuomo's Executive Order 202.39, issued June 7, 2020, advised that "local governments in Phase Two regions may bring non-essential employees back to work beginning two weeks after such region meets the metrics to reopen Phase Two." The Capital Region entered Phase Two on June 3, 2020, such that the Town may begin reintroducing non-essential employees to work on Wednesday, June 17th.
Town employees performing essential services are not subject to the 50% workforce restriction. As such, the Niskayuna Police Department continues to respond to emergency calls; the Wasterwater Treatment Plant and Water Treatment Plant remain operational; Water & Sewer Department, Code Enforcement and Highway Department continue to respond to calls and perform essential services.
CHANGES TO TOWN OPERATIONS AND SERVICES (UPDATED JUNE 8, 2020)
ANIMAL (DOG) CONTROL: For emergencies dial 911. To report any non-emergency dog complaints please called: (518)-630-0911. The Niskayuna Dog Park is open to the public. Individuals must wear masks or face coverings while at the Niskayuna Dog Park and must maintain social distancing (6 feet) from other members of the public
ASSESSOR: All information requests, applications, or questions can be submitted to the Assessor by mail, e-mail on the Town web-site, by phone (518-386-4550), or fax (518-386-4509).
BUILDING DEPARTMENT/CODE ENFORCEMENT:
- Permits: Building permits will be reviewed and issued in the order that they were received. While the typical turnaround for building permits is 10-14 days, due to the recent backlog and reduced in-office staffing, homeowners and contractors should expect completed permit applications to be reviewed within 14-21 days. All permits will be processed electronically and through the mail. “Curbside” permit pick-up may be scheduled with the Building Department on a permit-by-permit basis. Please email [email protected] for more details.
- Inspections: The Building Department is conducting inspections and will require at least 24 hour notice for all inspection requests. When scheduling inspections, the inspector may request a virtual inspection, engineer certifications or specific pictures in lieu of an in-person inspection, depending on the project. In-person inspections will require proper PPE worn by all parties at all times during the inspection or the inspector shall leave the jobsite and the inspection will be rescheduled.
- Code violations/Complaints: Code violation complaints can be submitted by phone (518)-386-4522, mail or e-mail at [email protected]. The Building Department is following up on complaints as time and safety allows.
- All contractors shall read the “Interim Guidance for Construction Activities During the Covid-19 Public Health Emergency” found here: https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/atoms/files/ConstructionMasterGuidance.pdf
- All contractors shall affirm their compliance on the New York Forward Website https://forms.ny.gov/s3/ny-forward-affirmation
- All contractors shall comply with the Mandatory requirements issued by New York State here: https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/atoms/files/ConstructionShortGuidelines.pdf, which shall be made a condition of the Building Permit.
- All construction activities in Niskayuna shall comply with the Capital District Forward requirements for Employee Protection, physical workspace and public health processes.
- Non-compliance with NYS guidance for construction activities and failure to ensure proper social distances and crew safety will result in a reinstatement of the stop work order at the project site by the Town of Niskayuna.
TOWN CLERK: Forms and requests can be mailed or you can use the “Drop Box” at the front door of Town Hall. The following applications can be found online on the Town Clerk page: Yard Waste, Dog License, Birth Certificate, Transfer Station Punch Card, 2020 Season Transfer permit. FOIL requests will continue to be processed as received by the Town Clerk. If you are in need of Yard Waste Stickers there is a plastic container outside the Town Hall near the front doors for your convenience for pickup. For other questions call (518)-386-4514 or e-mail on the Town website.
On April 18, 2020, Governor Cuomo issued Executive Order No. 202.20 allowing Town Clerks to issue marriage licenses by videoconference. To make arrangements to obtain a marriage license from the Town Clerk or for more information, please call (518) 386-4510 or email [email protected]
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS: Questions and concerns can be submitted by phone (518) 386-4526 or by e-mail on the Town web-site.
- The Summer Community Programs 2020 Booklet is now available! Online Registration is open for Summer Camps/Programs/Town Pool: https://www.niskayuna.org/community-programs/links/online-registration
TOWN COURT: For any questions and more information contact the Town Court by phone (518)-386-4560.
ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT: Engineering Department is closed to the public. The Engineering Department can be contacted by mail, phone (518-386-4520), fax (518)-386-4592 or by e-mail at the Town web-site.
HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT: Highway Department is closed to the public. Questions and concerns can be submitted by phone (518)-785-9753 or by e-mail on the Town web-site.
POLICE DEPARTMENT: The Police Department remains open as usual. For emergencies dial 911. For non-emergencies dial (518)630-0911. Please let our dispatchers know if you’re experiencing any flu like symptoms at the time of your call. These include fever, cough, or shortness of breath. Officers responding in-person may ask you to step outside to speak with the officer, if it is safe to do so. For information requests, copies of reports or administrative inquiries dial (518) 386-4585 or fax (518) 386-4594.
RECEIVER OF TAXES: Questions and information requests can be submitted by phone (518-386-4540), or by email on the Town website.
SENIOR CENTER: The Senior Center will be closed to the public until further notice. Senior Center staff are availble by phone on a limited basis, please call 518-372-4969 to reach us for any assistance we may provide.
SENIOR BUS: The Senior Bus will continue to operate Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am-3pm. Please call the Bus Driver at 518-495-6202 to schedule bus service. In accordance with Governor Cuomo's Executive Order 202.18, if you will be utilizing the Senior Bus, you must wear a mask in order to ride. If you have difficulty in obtaining a mask and are utilizing the Senior Bus, you can request one by calling 518-495-6202 or emailing: [email protected]
SUPERVISOR'S OFFICE: Questions and information requests can be submitted by phone (518)-386-4501 between 9:00am-5:00pm. Comments may be emailed following this link: https://www.niskayuna.org/town-supervisor/webforms/town-supervisor-comments-and-requests Please check the Supervisor's website for frequent COVID-19 updates.
TRANSFER STATION: The Transfer Station has resumed normal hours of operations. Tuesdays and Fridays: 7:30 am to 2:30 pm; Saturdays: 7:30 am to 12:30 pm. Use of the Transfer Station is limited to two vehicles at any given time. Please wait for an attendant to direct you in and maintain social distancing (or wear a face covering or mask if social distancing is not feasible) while at the Transfer Station.
WATER & SEWER DEPARTMENT: Water and Sewer Department facilities (including the Water Treatment Plant, Wastewater Treatment Plant, and Water & Sewer Garage) are closed to the public. Questions and concerns can be submitted by phone (518) 377-8411, ext.1 or by email via the Town Website. For any emergencies, please call: (518)-630-0911.
Additional COVID-19 Resources:
Schenectady County Department of Public Health
SCPHS Communicable Disease Department Hotline: (518) 386-2824, option 4; after-hours (518) 437-7878
COVID-19 Emotional Support Hotline: 1-844-863-9314
New York State Department of Public Health
NYS Coronavirus 24 hour Hotline: 1-888-364-3065
|Summer Programs 2020||2.67 MB|